Re: Cutting to the chase (was RE: ABOVE.NET SECURITY TRUTHS?)

  • From: Danny McPherson
  • Date: Fri Apr 28 23:20:33 2000

> Since I value your input, I'm not sure if you are joking, or serious.
>
> I understand the humorous issues involved here (believe me, I do),
> I'm really serious about this, and I need serious feedback.

I was obviously joking about the "disinformation experts" comment,
at least to some degree.

However, I certainly do agree that it's a good idea to discuss
this as you propose at the upcoming NANOG, especially in lieu
of recent occurrences.

I don't believe some folks realize how much people read into
topics discussed on this list, or understand the impact that
seemingly simple posts (accusations about Vendor A's broken
software, Vendor B's broken hardware, ISP A's broken network,
ISP B's poor customer service, ISP C's security practices,
etc..) have on these businesses, and more so, the individuals
involved, especially since those accusations are often
[demonstrated] premature or completely unfounded.

-danny