RE: Cutting to the chase (was RE: ABOVE.NET SECURITY TRUTHS?)

  • From: Paul Ferguson
  • Date: Fri Apr 28 21:55:42 2000

Now that this topic has been brought up, I have a question
to the list in general.

I have suggested to Susan Harris (who does a FANTASTIC job
of putting the NANOG meeting agenda together) that it might
be interesting to have a panel session at the Albuqureque
NANOG consisting of several folks (including popular trade
press journalists) to discuss the "damage factor" in
disinformation.

I have personally been appalled at the lack of accuracy in
the more recent reports of service provider outages that have
been erroneously reported as being due to "hacker attacks" or
DoS attacks.

This has led to excessive fear-mongering & FUD, and tends to
reduce the confidence in the service provider community, and
in my humble opinion, needs to be addressed.

What does the list, in general, think about this proposal?

Thanks,

- paul