RE: ABOVE.NET SECURITY TRUTHS?

  • From: Roeland Meyer (E-mail)
  • Date: Fri Apr 28 17:57:53 2000

The private net is still subject to wire-tap tricks. If the switch supports SSH1 then that should be sufficient. MHSC.NET, and every host I setup for dot-com clients, gets a telnetd/ftpd-ectomy for free. If it needs CLI access, it gets SSH or, you have to go to the console. Even X11 and SMB sessions are forwarded through SSH. Given this sort of secure environment, plain-text Cisco sessions stand out like a sore thumb, to a sniffer. They only have to look for the packets that are NOT encrypted. A private net is even worse, you are guaranteed that each packet is part of a network management session.

0/120newft/120
limit/120s/120s5/sshv1.htm

..Dylan