Re: DSL problems (PacBell and Covad)

  • From: Ulf Zimmermann
  • Date: Thu Apr 27 06:13:34 2000

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 01:16:20AM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:

> InternetNews had an article about DSL problems at PacBell and COVAD.
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/0,2171,8_347841,00.html
>
> It appears COVAD blames their problems on AT&T and Qwest cable outages,
> which did happen.  But I have reports from half-a-dozen different
> people reporting several different outages due to switch failures,
> switch limits being exceeded, code upgrade failures, including one upgrade
> where the code crashed at one office one night, and the next night COVAD
> loaded it on the next office which also crashed.

As a corporate customer of Covad, services lately has been very poor.
Very often they supposely do code or card upgrades in the switches
but they don't check if all customers are back up. So we have to call
each user affected in.

New orders are also taking longer and longer, their front end seems
to loose more clue every day

> PacBell's DSL outage was reportedly due to a switch failure, although
> PacBell couldn't tell or wouldn't tell, how many customers were affected
> by it.
>
> Is this simply a case of different providers having switch problems at
> the same time?  Typical problems of deploying bleeding edge technology?

Pachell also has often a response time problem. I know of at least two
locations were down for over 5 days, because they had a switch problem
there and it took them that long to get it repaired.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073