Re: Above.net?

  • From: Mark Kent
  • Date: Tue Apr 25 22:57:23 2000

>> > I guess by now everyone knows what happened.  Paul, can you share some
>> > info with the rest of us about what the vulnerability was so we can "plug
>> > the hole"?
>>
>> This might be something more then a hole.
>>
>> http://yahoo.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-1760458.html?pt.yfin.cat_fin.txt.ne
>>
>> Looks like Vixie is going to take a while getting back to nanog.

Hmmmm, the article states that service was restored by mid-afternoon.
But it is still not in good shape (at 1945h).

The article says there was an attack, but what above.net told customers was:

>> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
>> At approximately 9:45am PST we experienced network wide failures with our
>> Cisco switches. These failures resulted in loss of some configuration
>> information kept inside the switches.  Service has been restored to
>> nearly all customers who were affected.  If you are still having problems
>> reaching your equipment give the call center a call at 408-367-6673.

Now, that email didn't get to my mail server (in AboveNet) until
1900h.  I called and was told that there were still problems and they
were still working on it.

I just did some tests (1954h, I'm a slow typist) and the problem
continues...

-mark