Re: Peering Table Question

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Tue Apr 25 01:37:19 2000

Randy and Martin are both correct.

I often use the poker analogy. In most cases if you have a backbone that is nationwide and are at 3 geographically diverse exchange points you are in good shape with about 85% of your peers. If you approach most of the peers with the argument that you add value to their network, are competent in the administration of your network and will not create an instability in their network, and have a visible trusted Senior Network Engineer (yes a bit of the Good old boy network here) then you will get peering.

The last 15% if noticable the hard part. How do you convince the "big boys" to play ball. This is where most everyone gets stuck and where a typical engineer gets in over his head. Logically engineers want to improve the network and as Martin mentioned it may not actually be in the best interest of the successful backbones to open the floodgates.

The ones with the best possible luck may in fact be the web hosters. One strategy Ive long contemplated is what happens if you have such critical and demanded contact that all backbones MUST connect to diliver it to their customers (eyeballs). A mix of yahoo, etrade, fidelity, etc etc would seem to be critical. Not only would backbones need to peer to receive the information but private peering to achieve a high level of QoS would be desirable. Those that DO NOT private peer (or force the content backbone to peer at a FDDI exchange) would be at an economic disadvantage and customers flee to other backbones with more liberal peering policies.

Truth is that I cannot ever see a situation where the content domains would ever allow even a momentary degradation of their services to add weight to open peering policies.... even if it is in their best interests.

As for Tier1. I used to remember the longer term...Tier1 and Transit free... this got shortened to just Tier1.

Some people started to attempt to change the definition from a peering description to one of geographical coverage. Tier1 is a network with national to global coverage. I still dont get this definition.

David