Re: Question about strain on the A root server

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Sat Apr 22 15:36:00 2000

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, "Nick Patience" wrote:

> NSI seems slightly unsure as to the main reason for the increase in hits,
> but speculates that one of the reasons may be
> says the main reason for this is that ISP's are using different caching
> techniques and more & more searches are going right to the top of the
> tree
> than before.
>
> What do people on this list feel about this as a reason? It seems a
> little
> woolly to me.

It seems rational to me.

I know I used to forward off to my upstream and rely on their cache, but
now I just dig it straight from the root servers and rely on my own cache.

Probably less efficient, but takes a point of failure out of the loop.
It's difficult getting your upstream to admit to DNS problems sometimes.