Re: Question about strain on the A root server

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Sat Apr 22 13:01:10 2000

Depending on how the statistical distribution is falling, I would venture
a guess to say its web companies resolving their web hit's DNS.

My logic is this:

The number of requests in a short time is very high, and as sites generate
more and more logs the number of requests goes up.  Since many of these
sites (even small ones) could easily overwhelm their ISP (in the case of a
hosting company) of their hosting company (in the case of an individual
customer)'s name servers, these guys are forced to do 100% of the queries
themselves.

Many of these log resolvers don't have name-lookup caching anywhere near
as sophisticated as bind, and some won't maintain their cache between
different log run (picture running the logs for 10,000 virtual domains
individually -- each night).

And/or:

I would guess that most new unix/other os installs that are expected to
be on the net probably default talking directly to the root zone instead
of their immediate upstream ISP. (From a software point-of-view, its
easier than asking the customer what his local DNS server is, and then
having the same customer call support when his DNS doesn't work).

Last theory is just math:

As the number of domains goes up, the statistical probability of any
particular domain being cached in any large DNS server goes down.
(Especially if the ISP hasn't been very good about growing the size of
their BIND cache). I can see no reason why these same BIND servers won't
start making 10-15% more requests to the root servers each (on say growth
of 40-60% in the number of domains, and probably lower overall
cache/refresh times). This, with some servers doing many times that
because they are more directly affected by the increase in domains (more
and more unique domains, fewer persistent/repeat inquiries).

Deepak Jain
AiNET