Re: Re: New Federal Law (COPPA)

  • From: Mr. James W. Laferriere
  • Date: Fri Apr 21 23:37:50 2000

	Hello Shawn,  Man where dod you learn to swing a hammer :-)
	that nail got driven clean thru Ladies/Gents .  That is exactly
	where the problem lies ,  - PARENTS - '.'  Not anywhere else . JimL

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> It's worse than that.
> Giving something away in a contest that's illegal in Florida?
> Sorry, can't ask what state they're from without parental permission.
> Need their email address for password verification?  Sorry.
> Effectively, this bars children from accessing the net, since companies
> won't be able to affordably comply.
> And all to protect children from something that their parents can far more
> effectively protect them against.
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System  Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416      22nd So |  Give me Linux  |
       | [email protected] | DesMoines WA 98198 |   only  on  AXP |