Fw: New Federal Law (COPPA)

  • From: Moe Allen
  • Date: Fri Apr 21 20:26:08 2000

>From the information that CNN is reporting that is coming directly from the
FTC.  It appears that this is not only information that is obtained through
a "CGI" format, but also via E-mail.  The FTC also indicates that they have
the ability to scan 100's of sites per day, and will.  If a violation is
detected, it can cost the site $ 11,000.00 per incident.  This has far
reaching consequences.  I can see the "Unix Gods" spending many hours
writing filters for this, just to "CYA"..

This could be a good "Sting" Operation to setup on the Internet.  I would
agree that you might have some concern with this New Law.  With any "Sting
Operations", some good people get trapped with the crooks, just being in the
wrong place at the wrong time.  Having some "law" background, I believe this
is one of those issues that could end up before the "Supreme Court", at the
Federal Level.   I understand their intent, but as with many laws of this
type, the founders intent has a tendency to lost somewhere as it gets to the
people that handle the enforcement side of things.

I want to protect our young children, more than anyone.  But I believe some
"Law Biding Sites" could get caught on this one, if what is being reported
from the FTC is correct.  My attorney summed it up.  It look like to me,
they (the Feds) are going to try to force us (again)  into becoming
"Internet Police" as well as experts in the interpretation of the U.S.
Constitution.

Morris Allen
VidcomNet, Inc.