Re: New Federal Law (COPPA)

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Fri Apr 21 16:29:38 2000

>If you operate a commercial Web site or an online service directed to
>children under 13 that collects personal information from children or
>if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge
>that it collects personal information from children, you must comply
>with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

i have a website that might be collecting information from children,
even though that's not the "target" audience.  can i ask the person
how old they are, or is that a violation of the law?

it seems to me that i must break the law in order to comply.

or am i just being pedantic?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet