Net traffic flows

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Apr 20 06:50:03 2000

On Wed, 19 April 2000, I Am Not An Isp wrote:
> AS1 used to claim that they wanted "settlement based peering" from people,
> and they said they would be 100% fair about it.  If you peered with AS1 and
> had more than a 2:1 delta (to AS1 : from AS1), you paid $XXX per
> (something).  If AS1 sent you more than double what you sent them, THEY
> would pay YOU.

I've long been on record as saying I would sign any peering agreement
with *RECIPROCAL* compensation.  I can always arrange my traffic so they
pay me, or at worst it is net zero.  This is simple game theory.  The
greedier the compensation rate, the better off I am.  Only an ILEC would
be dumb enough to demand reciprocal compensation.