Re: Peering Table Question

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Thu Apr 20 04:25:04 2000

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, John Fraizer wrote:
> The question then becomes one of:  Which end of the equation do you want
> to be on?  The one sending traffic or the one receiving traffic?  How does
> one determine who is at greater benefit from the peering relationship?

If you are a web host you are generally willing to pay for bandwidth going
towards the "net"....as your customers care if they can get to all of the
"dialin" users.

If you are a internet access provider you generally care more about
bandwidth coming from the "net"....as your customers want to get to the
web hosts.

So assume that a primarily Web Hosting company peers with a internet
access provider.  The web host wants to pay to send traffic to the dialups
and the iap wants to pay to recieve traffic from the web sites.  The
"willingness to pay" seems kinda one-directional here - the path from the
web hosts to the iap.

This whole settlement based idea is really screwy.  If the model was that
the people hosting the sites on the web paid for everything including
access, then I could see settling based on bidirectional flows to a given
"endpoint".  Basically each section along the path to a given customer
would get a small portion of the settlement.  (you could argue the other
way - that if the iaps were paying for the whole thing, the path the
other direction would get it....).

But that isn't the case.   We live in a world where both the hosters and
the accessors are paying for their access.  Any settlement based in that
system will be unfair as it is almost impossible to put a different value
on each end of the link.  Who's to say for a given AS whether inbound or
outbound is more important?

If someone (off list) could explain to me how flows in a given direction
actually relate consistently to value, I'd appreciate it.

Note that I am not talking about say a smallish ISP purchasing a "Customer
Routes Only, no transit" link to a larger isp.   That's a whole different
ball of yarn.

- Forrest W. Christian ([email protected]) KD7EHZ
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648