Re: Peering Table Question

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Apr 19 21:04:47 2000

On Wed, 19 April 2000, Jeff Barrows wrote:
>   We sign and comply with mutual non-disclosure agreements
>   that inhibit my ability to share that information with you.
>
>   This is not a technical issue.

Technically, even parties to a NDA can agree with each other to release
information.  In some cases, it is as simple as asking the other
party.  And one party can always release the other party. For example
UUNET could tell its peers they are free to reveal they peer with UUNET.

It is a choice some companies make, not as you point out a technical
requirement.  Companies could, such as Bell Atlantic does, post all
their interconnection details on their web site.

>   I look forward to viewing your backhoe reports.

I look forward to the day carriers provide similar detail to all
their customers.  Although MCI may consider fiber cuts "confidential"
information, I assure you, MCI's customers and competitors know about
them.  I'm not sure how a big hole in a public street with fiber sticking
out of it is confidential.  Nevertheless, since I've been told by several
people at MCI they aren't allowed to talk to me, sometimes I have to infer
who is the responsible party.  I agree the information isn't as accurate
as it would be if MCI would directly provide details, but it is the best
information available to me.

Oh, maybe MCI signed an mutual NDA with the backhoe operator so that's
why they can't comment?

As I've told the MCI folks before, I'm always happy to contact whomever
they designate, and make corrections when I get it wrong.  But I can't
do either if they decline to speak with me.  MCI/Worldcom is the only
carrier with employees who have told me they specifically aren't allowed
to talk to me.

In any case, not talking won't uncut the fiber.