Re: Peering Table Question

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Wed Apr 19 18:47:49 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Mark Kent wrote:

> >> Errr, isn't 'settlement based peering' synonomous with 'usage-based
> >> transit' ?
>
> transit implies that the "peer" will show your routes outside their
> network, hence allowing traffic from some other network to "transit"
> their network on the way to your network.  Whereas 'settlement based peering'
> is just charging for access to your/their network only.

Does it?

I don't agree. We often sell transit to customers, to which we only send
routes of peers, and a discount.

> Of course, the fact that one can make 'usage-based transit' act like
> 'settlement based peering' both technically and financially with the
> use of bgp communities could blur the distinction.

Actually, now that I think about it, I was wrong; usage based transit
implies that the more you push/pull, the more you pay; settlement based
peering could imply that, or that you pay for the delta between the two.