Re: Peering Table Question

  • From: Lauren F. Nowlin
  • Date: Wed Apr 19 18:31:59 2000

I'm with Brett on this one... Is there any gain in advertising you don't have a back door if congestion / network failure occurs with a peer? Thinking back about all the work-arounds to get to specific peers that couldn't add capacity where they wanted because of long drawn out merger/acquisition activity makes me think a backdoor is wise and that customers would expect such professional planning. Sitting on customer calls I've heard that they don't want to go with network providers that might be transit free but are reputed congestion nightmares.

Call it insurance against evolution...
-Ren

At 01:17 PM 4/19/00 -0700, brett watson wrote:

> > >   are mis-representing themselves as [cost-free-] peering
> > >   with other networks when they are actually customers, or
> > >   in some type of 'settlement' arrangement.
> >
> > i contend that one can count the true tier one networks on the fingers
> > of two hands.
> >

> Howabout offering us your pearls and letting us in on who these mysterious
> select group of 'real' tier one networks are?

the question is:  does it make any difference today, other than from a
marketing perspective?

-b