Re: UBR at MAE-East ATM, anyone?

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Tue Apr 18 13:06:08 2000

Yes.

To me, it seems that WCom is policing the amount of traffic one can shove
into a ATM port, so the giga-fiasco doesn't occur again, which I guess is
somewhat of a legitmate cause. However, the difference between the giga
and the atm solution is (obviously) there is no such thing as
'head-of-line' blocking on the ATM.

Moving to the UBR will allow you to more smartly fill your pipe, and not
have arbitrary restrictions on the flows you send in; essentially, the
bottle neck with the PCR = 2 * SCR is the PVC, not the port. Considering
the nature of internet traffic, this seems silly.

However, the ability to build multiple PVC's in parallel from/to the same
ports is important to us, and BeerMaker allows us to do this; we'd like to
not lose this functionality.