Re: NetSol screwing the pooch?

  • From: Patrick Greenwell
  • Date: Sat Apr 15 12:05:02 2000

The UDRP(http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp-policy-24oct99.htm).

> The issue raised here is that NSI is operationally incompetent.

The "cure"(ICANN) is far worse than the illness.

> Wresting the whois database and name server operations from NSI will
> be difficult, even with concerted action by ISPs.

There is no "wresting" to be done. ISPs have a choice where they point
their servers, period. That they do not avail themselves of this
capability serves to illustrate that it is not important enough to ISPs as
an industry.

> I conclude that, if the major ISPs desire a change, they will need to
> work together to move the DNS registry service outside of the US, and
> be willing to defy unreasonable and irrational US court orders.

See above.

> How do you propose to make it work?

There have been several proofs-of-concepts(alternic, eDNS,
etc.) that demonstrate the technical feasbility of such a
change. Unfortunately, these previous attempts have been conducted by
(mostly)well-intentioned technical folks who lacked the business and/or
political acumen necessary to be successful.

                               Patrick Greenwell
                       Earth is a single point of failure.