Re: Network Solutions, HOSTS

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Tue Apr 11 18:21:22 2000

> "Greg A. Woods" wrote:
>
> > IIRC there's been policy in place in the past that clearly stated they
> > would ban or rate-limit any client doing more than some set limit of
> > WHOIS queries.
> >
> > So, yes, NSI does want to get WHOIS queries from everywhere and not from
> > one central query engine.

As a follow up, it appears that NSI *registrar* now controls the whois
database. They have just recently started logging and monitoring access,
and identified a group of potential scrapers. They lumped GeekTools in
there "in error". They have now added GeekTools to the group of
acceptable high useage hosts, so the problem should be gone from now on.

Thanks to the NSI folk who helped make things right.

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.