Re: router interfaces

  • From: Dana Hudes
  • Date: Mon Apr 10 23:07:25 2000

Any router with an ATM or Frame Relay interface is going to have lots and lots of sub-interfaces.
In provider-customer connections the usual process is to have a /30 and the interface is operating in point-point VC mode.
I'm sure folks aggregating onto Frame Relay HSSI from a WAN switch are putting more than 50 T1 worth on. I'd hope not since one is paying for that T1 but oversubscribing is the game.
So certainly I would expect to see hundreds of interfaces. I'm not talking about secondary IP addresses.
On an OC-3 ATM -- I can certainly trunk lots of customers to a single BCN with 3 OC-3 interfaces
(dumping that traffic is another problem unless you want Gigabit Ethernet or multiple Fast Ethernet full-duplex)