router interfaces

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Mon Apr 10 17:35:24 2000

while arguing routing with a friend of mine, we got to the point where
the number of interfaces on a router was a point of contention.  now
certainly routing depends not only on the number of interfaces a
router has, but also on the number of next-hop gateways it need to
keep track of.

that said, i'd like to just ask: what's the largest number of
interfaces anyone has on any of their routers?  i was arguing that
high end routes would probably have maybe a few hundred.  my friend
was arguing in terms of theoretical limits and thought it was more
like tens of thousands.

max interfaces?  max next-hop gateways?

thanks.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet