Re: Network Solutions, HOSTS

  • From: Kai Schlichting
  • Date: Mon Apr 10 16:55:06 2000

At Monday 04:19 PM 4/10/00 , Gregory A. Carter wrote:

>I'm starting to get exteremely fustrated here.  I've been trying to modify
>two of my nameserver HOSTS with Network Solutions for almost two months
>now and all I get back is the "We've seen your post but we haven't done
>anything yet..." hoopla auto responce.  Has anyone else had this problem
>lately?  Are they reigstering domains in a timely mannor since it gets
>them money but not bothering to honor the nameserver HOST modifications?
>
>Every time I try and call them to get things taken care of I get a
>recorded message and hung up on.
>
>Greg

I think they are running almost completely on auto-pilot with this,
returning bogus error messages, or none at all and what not.
A definite downturn from doing the process MANUALLY (!) until some
time ago.

I tried to get the names of some hosts changed for about 6 months,
without success. Ultimately, my upstream provider (UUnet) used it's
"liaison contact" to make it happen in a day: Money talks, apparently.

Can anyone point out an alternate registrar that is set up to register
and maintain hosts? Based on what I see at whois.crsnic.net, I strongly
assume that its impossible to register domains on DNS servers with
NSI where the registered hosts are not in NSI's own registry. How are
people's experiences shifting this essential service to another
registrar ?

bye,Kai