Re: Policies: Routing a subset of another ISP's address block

  • From: Daniel L. Golding
  • Date: Wed Apr 05 17:14:01 2000

Jesper,

Do you then suggest the elimination of the ARIN multihomed issuance
policy - which is, BTW, the method most folks use to get PI space these
days? After all, you can't be truly multihomed without PI space in your
scheme of things. This would seriously raise the bar for folks to get PI
space in the first place.  You would effectively ban anyone doing BGP
advertisements that doesn't have their own PI space already. This is a
troublesome suggestion. It denies the benefits of multihoming to small
enterprises and ISPs, effectively discriminating against them.

I find your line of reasoning, which is essentially "tough cookies" to be
unconvincing. I must also assume that you haven't worked for a small ISP
or CLEC recently, nor have you had such for a customer. There must be room
for providers of all sizes in the marketplace. If this thesis enjoyed
widespread acceptance by the major Tier I ISPs, I have no doubt that it
would be considered anti-competative.

- Dan Golding