Re: peering wars revisited? PSI vs Exodus

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Wed Apr 05 09:36:08 2000

In message <[email protected]>, [email protected]
.edu writes:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2000 21:16:55 PDT, Ehud Gavron said:
> > Your list of people below are already emailing me to
> > say "no no, we just gave him info"
> >
> > You're not journalist.
>
> (I'm assuming here that Gordon starts off with "Hi, I'm Gordon Cook,
> with the Cook Report", and not social-engineering with false names etc ;)
>
> Umm.. given the list of names for 1998 through 2000, and the fact that
> I *know* that at least some of them were aware of what Gordon writes
> when they gave him info, I think it's safe to conclude that at least
> a good fraction of Gordon's listed sources were giving him information
> fully aware of where it was going to end up.  If you tell somebody info
> knowing it's going into a well-publicized newsletter, you're talking to
> a journalist.  It may not be Tom Brokaw, but it's a journalist. ;)

Absolutely.  As one of the people Gordon interviewed, there was and is no
doubt in my mind that he's a journalist.  In fact, I know of no reasonable
definition of the term that would exclude him -- he gathers information and
publishes it.

Yes, Gordon expresses opinions -- but the set "columnist" is a  subset of the
set "journalist".  Yes, I (and many others on this list) often disagree with
his viewpoint.  So what?

		--Steve Bellovin