Re: peering wars revisited? PSI vs Exodus

  • From: Ulf Zimmermann
  • Date: Tue Apr 04 18:06:00 2000

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 05:45:46PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

> Unless Gordon is an Exodus customer I'll assume he was sent the
> communique' by an Exodus customer. There's probably some truck with
> that customer, but if Gordon is only acting in his role as a reporter
> then, well, short of creating an imminent threat to someone's life
> (like revealing the whereabouts of someone in a witness protection
> program) or libel or a few other similar kinds of problems generally
> reporters report if they think something is newsworthy.
>
> Put another way, just about half of everything one generally finds
> interesting, from the white house's handling of certain emails to what
> the tobacco companies tried to do to thwart suits against them was
> once marked confidential. Almost everything interesting gets marked
> confidential.
>
> Put yet another way; If one's only plan is to mark a letter sent out
> to every customer (what? hundreds?) as marked "customer confidential"
> and hope that oughta stop it from getting out and that everyone who
> receives it agrees that it's in their best interest, or ethics, to go
> along with that confidentiality, then I think they need another plan.

And I can only repeat, I found it very interesting to see, because
I did not receive that letter. But I am the one who gets asked
if our customers have problems reaching us.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073