Re: peering wars revisited? PSI vs Exodus

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Tue Apr 04 17:55:34 2000

Unless Gordon is an Exodus customer I'll assume he was sent the
communique' by an Exodus customer. There's probably some truck with
that customer, but if Gordon is only acting in his role as a reporter
then, well, short of creating an imminent threat to someone's life
(like revealing the whereabouts of someone in a witness protection
program) or libel or a few other similar kinds of problems generally
reporters report if they think something is newsworthy.

Put another way, just about half of everything one generally finds
interesting, from the white house's handling of certain emails to what
the tobacco companies tried to do to thwart suits against them was
once marked confidential. Almost everything interesting gets marked
confidential.

Put yet another way; If one's only plan is to mark a letter sent out
to every customer (what? hundreds?) as marked "customer confidential"
and hope that oughta stop it from getting out and that everyone who
receives it agrees that it's in their best interest, or ethics, to go
along with that confidentiality, then I think they need another plan.

Sure, some things, like being let in on some cool products coming down
the pike (or 128) and then running to the press would be pretty
unsavory.

But finding out that there some kind of internecine warfare going on
between the vendor you're probably married to (technically,
contractually) and some other vendor which is going to change the
quality of your service and deciding that if this was brought out into
the open, quickly, is a better thing to do with this memo doesn't
shock me.

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe someone else is, but if
something "company confidential" falls into the hands of a reporter
it's generally not confidential for long if it's interesting. And
that's not usually considered unethical on the part of the reporter
unless as I said someone's life is in danger in some real and
immediate way (and not metaphorically.)

[spare me the wild analogies like violating a govt secrets act, we're
talking about a lousy company confidential memo to customers not atom
bomb secrets]

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*