Re: mysterious packet delay to/from www.caida.org was: Cisco Netflow Analysis Software

  • From: Kai Schlichting
  • Date: Thu Mar 16 10:42:23 2000

The assymmetric path is similar enough for both IP spaces to discount
this possibility: no duplicate ACKs or packets are ever seen, removing
the possibility of ANY end-to-end loss. The fact that its 100% reproducable
and always gets stuck on the same packet furthers another suspicion:

Someone told me that broken reverse DNS may do such things on certain
servers: they start to throw out content, then suddenly block on
the reverse DNS lookup and stop the flow right in the middle. I
haven't been able to produce the problem with any other site so
far though. The site in question does have a DNS problem, which leads
me to the next set of questions:

Is a delegating nameserver (namely UUnet's) supposed to dish out
glue A RR records for the servers it delegates to ? (in the
"additional records" section of the answer)

If yes, does it do so only if root-nameservers have an A RR for such
a server (e.g. a registered nameserver) ?

Are delegations to servers that are NOT registered breaking RFCs and
thus 'illegal' ?

Will Networksolutions ever update name server registrations, again ?
Renaming doesn't work for me: the form processor complains about the
new server name not being registered. That's not the idea in a "rename" operation, really.

Thanks,
bye,Kai