Re: Cisco Netflow Analysis Software

  • From: Thomas P. Brisco
  • Date: Wed Mar 15 13:37:57 2000

	I wouldn't bother with cisco's commercial product.  Trying
to use that to track real-world flows is like trying to use a
kitchen sieve to empty Lake Champlain.

	A) It seems to barf on datasets > ~1.2GB
		(the error message was similar to "32478236924")
	B) Regular java blowups with things like
		formatNumberException (for big sums)
		and other java exceptions.  This typically
		causes the app to lose sanity, requiring you
		to quit and restart it.
	C) The functionality is weak
		there's no way to ask for very specific info
			(e.g. tell me only about AS6172)
		sorting doesn't put the two halfs of flows together
			(i.e. you can sort only by either src or dst as)
	D) stores data in a "different" ASCII format - so the
		freeware tools aren't usable (at least not that
		I've found the "real" data so far ...)

	You're better off with the freeware stuff - if you need/want
graphs/charts you can always pipe through sed/perl and into
gnuplot...  [see later messages for the freeware stuff]

								- TP