Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

  • From: Pete Templin
  • Date: Tue Mar 14 12:14:03 2000

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Saying "the clients's primary DNS" is misleading.  There is no way to know
> what the "primary" DNS server is for a zone, and there may not even be
> what is typically known as a primary.

And to be done correctly, what "zone" is important?  Would it be the
server (primary/secondary/master/slave) authoritative for the reverse zone
containing the client IP address?  The domain name of the client found via
reverse DNS?  The caching proxy server in between (at the client end, or
perhaps at the server end)?

What if it's a UUNet resold modem to a client of iAmerica - what server
gets used then?  We know that UUNet's DNS servers are likely to not be
located close (in net terms) to the client, and how do we know what DNS
servers are being assigned to the client?

Or what if my clients get assigned dns servers in 192.168.254/24?  Sounds
to me like it's not a valid geographic identifier.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNA
Systems and Networks Administrator

On-Line Internet Services - URDirect.net
A division of Global On-Line Computers
2414 Babcock Rd. Suite 106		[email protected]
San Antonio, TX 78229			(210)692-9911