Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

  • From: Joe Loiacono
  • Date: Tue Mar 14 10:59:42 2000

>Checking the path to my DNS servers tells you NOTHING about the
>path to my hosts.

Right. But your situation is not the one being looked at, as you don't have
geograpically distributed web servers. I believe for that situation 3DNS,
et. al., can work. Once the client's DNS request has worked its way over to
the primary DNS for the distributed web-servers, 3DNS has each of the other
3DNS boxes (located adjacent to the other distributed servers) ping the
*clients* primary DNS. 3DNS then returns the URL for the web-server whose
3DNS machine is 'closest' (fewest hops) to the clients DNS machine. Thus,
for example, clients in Asia can get to a server in Asia.

I think that's the gist of it, if not the specifics...

Joe

Joe Loiacono                             Phone: (301) 794-2509
Computer Sciences Corporation            Fax:   (301) 794-9480