Re: Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help (long)

  • From: Patrick Greenwell
  • Date: Tue Mar 14 01:35:28 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Chris Brenton wrote:

> Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> >
> > Suddenly, the list got very, very quiet. In fact, since I posted that
> > message, there hasn't been a single post to the list. Emperically, this
> > suggests to me that while everyone is quick to spend countless
> > hours expressing an opinion on mailing lists, there is nobody willing to
> > invest in making this happen.
>
> I recently because associated with a security group working out of
> Dartmouth College. The focus of this group has not only been on internal
> security but issues that effect the Internet as a whole. The group
> already has a pretty good amount of funding. I could probably score
> enough backing and office space for a NOC that could address the issues
> that are being discussed. While I doubt I could raise the $50M someone
> suggested earlier, I could probably come up with enough for equipment, a
> small staff and to maintain a number of guru types on a consulting
> basis.

I think it is an intersting idea, however I believe it somewhat misses the
point. While a "clearinghouse" is indeed a potentially useful entity, my
suggestion centers more around actually getting NOCs to talk to each other
and come up with a common approach to event handling.

My 100,000 foot view tells me the problem is not security, it is a lack
of communication between providers. Enable that, then a reasonable stab
can be made at semi-cohesive security alert notification.

> My fear is that if we do not address these issues as a community,
> government/law enforcement will eventually step in and try and take care
> of it for us.

Absolutely correct. The infrastructure is beginning to generate far too
much revenue to be ignored anymore.

                               Patrick Greenwell
                       Earth is a single point of failure.