Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Mon Mar 13 17:38:51 2000

> Naturally, if it was a trivial issue, we wouldn't be debating it here.

you're somewhat disingenuous or new to this list.

> a DNS oriented approach can be feasible in many situations.

yup.  unfortunately the hack is not a good net citizen (some folk don't
appreciate packets thrown at their servers), and some versions are not
very accurate (as the server for foo.bar may be quite net.far from the
host foo.bar).

but then most bgp hacks, though better net citizens, are not brilliantly
accurate either.  the anycast hack really being the only one that scales
and performs at all well.

ymmv and tanstaafl.  job security for senior geeks.

randy