Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Mon Mar 13 03:16:50 2000

At 16:44 12/03/00 -0500, Peter A. van Oene wrote:

After knocking the Linkproof, I started to dig deeper and do believe that
for certain sites it does provide a solution.  Things that BGP can't do,
like load the links via either least traffic, round robin, or least flows;
checking proximity via hops, latency and load - and each of these variables
the user can assign a weight; supports routing for RIP II or OSPF, and a
bunch of other features.  Yes, it has some warts (sends out dns with ttl=0
which not everyone will like; sends out 2 A records (if enabled) for all
queries), is not approrpriate for huge sites, but for small sites that have
2-3 T1s in use via BGP, this may be solution.

BGP was never meant to be a load balancing method.  To quote from the RFC:

Since BGP picks a �best� route based upon most specific prefix and shortest
AS_PATH, it becomes non-trivial to figure out how to manually direct
specific portions of internal traffic (prefixes) in a distributed fashion
across multiple external gateways.

We all know how hard it is to play with AS-path lengths and to get the
links close to a 40-60% split.

These black boxes provide a different option and a possible solution.  I
intend to have a customer test one for a period of a month and can report
back here what we find.

-Hank

PS Anyone who wants the 392K PDF Users Manual for Linkproof can send me
private email and when I have time I will ship it out.