Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Mon Mar 13 01:16:38 2000

[email protected] ("Travis Pugh") writes:

> If the goal is to direct traffic from a client to the closest server farm,
> why not just build a box to do a BGP lookup and respond to a name lookup
> with the IP of that farm?  No pings or zone transfers necessary.

AS path length is a rotten predictor of performance.  (Just ask Cisco's
Distributed Director team whether they knew that not all of AS701 was
equidistant from their early adopters here in the Bay Area.)
--
Paul Vixie <[email protected]>
SVP for Internet Services, MFNX

M.I.B.H. Inc. is a subsidiary of Metromedia Fiber Network, Inc.