Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Sun Mar 12 18:11:33 2000

Dana Hudes wrote:

> Products like the Nortel Accelar 700 do layer 7 redirect.
> http://www.nortelnetworks.com/products/02/datasheets/3377.html

you should read that datasheet more closely. When handling multiple
sites, this product does something questionable, just as the F5 and
other brands do. In the case of this Nortel product, it pings the
original user's DNS server:

>From this data sheet:

"The Accelar 790 Server Switch can offer such services because it uses
standard DNS and OSPF protocols. Here's how it works: When the client
initially requests a URL, his or her browser sends a resolution request
to the local DNS server - the typical scenario. But with the Accelar
790, the DNS tree does not contain the physical IP address of the URL
server. Instead, the DNS tree is populated with the IP address of a
master Accelar 790 Server Switch. This Accelar IP address bears a flag
to indicate that it is the DNS server that can resolve the URL IP
address. The client's local DNS server will then submit the DNS request
to the master Accelar 790. The master will forward the client IP address
and requested URL to all other Accelar 790 Server Switches that are
providing points of presence for the requested URL. Each Accelar 790
will ping the client's DNS server and return the router hop count and
latency as well as their local server load for the URL. The master 790
will choose the best response time and forward that IP address to the
client's DNS server. The client's browser will cache that IP address and
use it for the remainder of the session."

So, provided you permit ICMP traffic to your DNS servers, and provided
that traffic is routed through various providers' networks along the
same paths as
the DNS and web traffic, this approach might work. What is also inherent
in this product is a packet amplification. Every time a DNS request
comes to one of these boxes, a set of ping packets is fired at the
source IP address of the DNS request, not to mention the site-to-site
traffic generated. This can be accomplished using a single UDP packet.
If such packet is spoofed...

Looks to me like this product is capable of resulting in a denial of
service against the site running the boxes, and being used to cause a
DoS against other sites.

Daniel Senie                                        [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com