Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

  • From: Ehud Gavron
  • Date: Sun Mar 12 12:11:01 2000

>F5's 3DNS will accomplish the same.  The redundancy is provide via DNS as
>opposed to having to worry about network advertisements via BGP4.

	Okay, but all drugs aside, if you're "having to worry about" BGP
	then you're already unstable.  (You, not your network).

	DNS was not and is not a mechanism for redundant connections.  BGP is.
	Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.
								- TPB

>Essentially, the 3DNS box assumes the DNS entry for the site for which the
>customer requires multihoming and it intelligently balances traffic amongst
>any geographically disparate sites.  This allows for high availability.

	[After translating that to English and then into usable form,
	I still have to say "Essentially, that's bullshit.  This allows
	for bullshit."]