Re: Here we go again

  • From: Scott Solmonson
  • Date: Fri Mar 10 20:20:48 2000

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Scott Solmonson wrote:
> > Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > I was thinking the exact same thing. The DoS'er would end up DoS'ing
> > > themselves.
> > Since when does "same source address" mean "same client"?
> > Ya- start redirecting everyone to an AOL proxy...
>
> Referrer != forwarded-for.

Correct.
And even that simple snippet of code spits out *no* referrer tag for you
to filter on.
So I was assuming you meant source IP.

> When we are talking about redirecting, we are talking about redirecting to
> the DoS'ers page. Not their client.

So you would redirect them *where*?
My (I'm running my auto-refresher) "page", what ever that is?
Or the <DoS-tool-maker>'s page?

> > And all these depend on being able to identify "authentic" users-
>
> Nope

Huh? - If you're going to redirect someone, you first need to identify
them as "bad".

> Huh? The client is netscape or IE. I dont know of any way for javascript
> to override the headers the browser client sends.

Not necessarily- their site stated that a custom client was in the
works-
We all know a perl script wrapped around netcat would do nicely.

--
Scott Solmonson
Speedera Networks Inc.