Re: Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help

  • From: Jeremy Porter
  • Date: Thu Mar 09 23:53:00 2000

In message <[email protected]>, Sean Donelan writes:
>What may be interesting is looking at how other industries handle the
>problem.
>
>In the banking industry, where failure to contact another bank can result
>in millions of losses, Thompson Publishing has an extensive directory of
>the security contacts for essentially every bank in the world.  Thompson
>actively verifies the contact information, and banks pay a bunch of money
>for current copies of the directories.
>
>In the chemical industry, where failure to respond to a leak can result in
>millions in liability, the chemical manufactures' association maintains a
>24-hour number which will contact the appropriate company's response group.
>Again, the contact information is actively verified.

Sounds like Sean and Ren should go get some funding for this, heck I'd
pay for it.  (It would still probably be cheaper than something like IPOPS
or CERT, which is not to completely dismiss those two organizations.)

--- [email protected]
Director Network Operations/Network Engineering, Wayport, Inc.
512-481-1542x522 www.wayport.net
1609 Shoal Creek Blvd Suite 301