RE: Napster and others...

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Tue Mar 07 14:35:04 2000

> I believe there was some discussion about doing that, actually, although
> I don't know where it went (as I just do system admin stuff, not development
> stuff).  I'll have to inquire as I haven't heard anything about it recently.
> Of course, the real impact would be pretty limited since I don't know that
> most peoples' routers really look to that header for QoS.  Nevertheless...

Err,  excuse me.. if a service provider reclassifies the traffic inside their
cloud and rewrite the IP ToS precedence, your wonderful marking gets messed up.
It is highly unlikely that the original ToS of each packet will be restored once
it leaves the provider's cloud...  keep it TCP, keep it predictable and you got
a KISS pattern to match.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz, Sr. Network Architect              Architecture, BellSouth.net
<[email protected]> -wk, <[email protected]> -hm                       Atlanta, GA