Re: AGIS Bites the dust

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Mar 06 15:18:29 2000

>On Mon, 06 March 2000, "Henry R. Linneweh" wrote:
>> AFTER ROUGH VOYAGE AGIS HITS THE ROCKS
>> http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2455629,00.html

>From the article:
>Founded in June 1994 by Philip Lawlor, AGIS is one of the six original
>backbones tapped by the National Science Foundation to carry commercial
>Internet traffic.

To be pedantic, AGIS was never selected or tapped by the National Science
Foundation to carry commercial Internet traffic.  No provider was.  Any
and all providers who connected to the three primary NAPs (new york, chicago,
and san francisco) were considered NSPs.  Even the term "original" isn't
true since there were other commercial networks who never met the definition
of NSP, such as BBN, CERFNET and UUNET.  Heck I think even Net99 was bigger
than AGIS, before it self-destructed and Phil bought them.