Re: Heads-up: Another whois change

  • From: Dana Hudes
  • Date: Thu Mar 02 07:51:18 2000

There was some discussion and effort but it seems to have died.
I have a vested interest of sorts as author/maintainer of the CPAN Net::Whois module
which keeps breaking. I can't make progress forward because every time I fix
.com et al it gets broken again. I would write an RFC but who will make Network Solutions obey?
And the word from their representative is that the competing registrars have an interest in keeping
things different.

We have a WG set up. http://www.imc.org/ietf-whois-ext/ . Nothing happening.
A draft by falstrom of the referral extension is in place but pretty dead.

The IETF seem to have no authority over Network Solutions and the competing registrars.
ICANN does but doesn't do anything.