Re: Retracing Sender's SMTP IP Address using MS Exchange 5.5

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Tue Feb 29 13:53:13 2000

This is off-topic for the NANOG list.

I tend to be pretty good at reading mail headers, so
if you'd like to follow up by sending the headers to
me to take a look at, I can.

Alternatively, you might try SPAM-L. Subscribe,
and post your question with a prefix of "HELP:"  e.g.

Subject: HELP: Please help me track the origin of this message

http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/ has the FAQ,
with lots of good info including how to subscribe.

Toplez Razer wrote:

> Dear Folks,
> We receive an e-mail that we want to reply back, but the sender's SMTP is NOT
> registered in DNS.  Let's say the sender is [email protected]
>
> Let's assume xyz.com is being resolve with its ISP DNS 150.150.150.1.  But
> there is no MX for xyz.com in this DNS.
>
> Our e-mail is MS Exchange 5.5.  Can we trace the sender's SMTP IP address?
> Is there better way than to peel off the original header packet to see the
> sender IP?
>
> Thanks,
> Audie Onibala

North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor
[email protected] - 888.480.4NET - 216.619.2NET