POC details for peers/NAPs/NOCs (was Re: Need routing engineer from Verio)

  • From: Lauren F. Nowlin
  • Date: Mon Feb 28 03:10:47 2000

Hi Dave, Dave & NANOGrs,

I keep NOC info current from Jared's wonderful site at http://puck.nether.net/ The incentive should be to update your peers with the 'human' sources via e-mail and update Jared's page with the 'role' sources.

Palm-to-Palm beaming limits the distribution to those who should have a valid reason for the data (i.e. no sales/vendor). Yes, the updates are awkward... but I also have 'human' peering & NAP contacts subdivided out into Asia/Pac, US & Europe that I will not share unless you are a peer in that region.

During APRICOT this week in Seoul I'll gladly beam NOC details to non-peers and peer details to peers after you give your details to add to the mix. Offer stands at each NANOG, RIPE, JPIX mtg., etc.

BTW, Randy's network handles '[email protected]' very well. Unfortunately too many other networks around the world haven't learned how standardization can help...

Take care,
-Ren

Lauren F. Nowlin, [email protected] / [email protected]
Director, Peering & Interconnects - http://www.onyx.net/peering/
Onyx Networks, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Pacific Gateway Exchange
Voice: 650-558-3262, Fax: 650-558-3160, Cellphone: 650-281-6963

At 09:34 PM 2/27/00 -0500, Dave Curado wrote:

> What I think is import for the new engineers is to have a list of
> those phone numbers handy.  Lauren Nowlin was nice enough to import
> her list of every noc into my Palm.  I think it would be wonderfully
> useful to make such a Palm list public so every engineer can have it
> handy everywhere they are.

Or how about just text.  I've often thought it would be a good idea
to share the various phone numbers we all have -- the only problem
is keeping the list up to date.  As these numbers change quite a bit,
some verification needs to be put in place.

Perhaps a text based list, in a given format, with a "last verified"
date included.  That would give the person using it some expectation
of the validity of the number.  If each contributor of a number would
verify the numbers before contributing them, the work would be
distributed, and would stand some chance of making the idea a reality.

If the format (schema) is set to something specific, people can do
what they want with the information -- push it on to pilots, etc.