government eavesdropping

  • From: Jeff Ogden
  • Date: Thu Feb 24 08:24:53 2000

So what is the real story here? Is all, most, some of our international Internet traffic being intercepted by various governments? Is it only international traffic that is at issue or is domestic traffic within the US subject to routine eavesdropping without a court order?

For years I've been telling people that while there was some risk that traffic on the Internet could be intercepted, that the risk was greatest at the ends of a connection and that as long as they were working with a reputable ISP that there was almost no risk that anyone was eavesdropping on the traffic from the more central networks. I've also been telling people that data "at rest" on disks or stored in servers is much more at risk than data "in motion" as it moves across the Internet. Have I been misleading people?

-Jeff Ogden
Merit

From http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000223/wl/eu_espionage_1.html

Wednesday February 23 9:50 AM ET

Report Details Vast Spy Network

By CONSTANT BRAND Associated Press Writer

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - A U.S.-led communications
monitoring network is intercepting ``billions of messages per
hour'' including telephone calls, fax transmissions and private
e-mails, according to a European Parliament report made public
Wednesday.

``We are not talking about a trivial thing here ... we cannot stop
them, they will continue,'' said Ducan Campbell, author of the
special parliament-commissioned report on the Echelon
spy-network.

Campbell said that the intelligence network monitors and
intercepts sensitive European-wide commercial communications.
``The level of use is getting out of control,'' he told a packed
hearing of the Parliament's Committee for Justice and Home
Affairs.

He said Canada, Britain, Australia and New Zealand are also
involved in Echelon. Other nations including France and Germany
also participate in a lower level in the spy-network which dates
back 50 years to the beginning of the Cold War.

``The capacity of the filtering systems is enormous,'' Campbell
said. He added that most international internet communications
are being routed through the United States and through nine known
U.S. National Security Agency interception sites.

Intelligence facilities located in the five countries can intercept fax,
e-mail or telephone communications easily he said. Campbell
urged the European Union to take action to protect against
unwanted interception of communications, which he said were
violations of human rights.

Committee chairman Graham Watson said he wanted to be sure
the international surveillance system was not abusing its powers.

Campbell said Microsoft, IBM, and a certain ``large American
microchip maker'' were providing certain product features which
allow the interception of information flow.

Campbell said he did not know whether the U.S. corporations were
benefitting from the information gathering but said previous
commercial espionage resulted in the collapse of several European
contracts in the airline industry - both military and commercial.