Re: Alternatives (was Re: whois broke again?)

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Tue Feb 22 08:44:19 2000

[email protected] wrote:
>         actually, I think both efforts have about the same level
>         of effort.  In one case, its concentrated in a single place,
>         in the other, its all over the place.

I disagree.  The point of my proposal was that the collection was
automated using current tools, just collecting our query results
into our own database.  The database would require some effort, but
only by the few (2**4) folks coordinating the databases.

The other nice thing about my proposal is that we could clean up the
data in its central location.  Enforcement would be the users (us)
adding notations that the data is bad, or entries to fix the data,
after beating our heads against the wall trying to find the parties.

Your proposal requires every domain/address to add data to their
servers.  That's millions of locations.  There's no enforcement,
and therefore, it won't happen anytime soon.

As an example of how fast that might be, look at how well in-addr is
currently maintained.

[email protected]