RE: whois broke again?

  • From: grisha
  • Date: Mon Feb 21 17:09:58 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> >Behalf Of Sean Donelan
>
> Because RIPE actually cares?
>
> All of the RIPE registries are enjoined to keep the data pure and RIPE
> checks it. NSI, OTOH, doesn't find out about bad contact data until the bill
> is due for payment. However, it is almost invariably true that the Billing
> Contact info is accurate. Ergo, they may not even find out at the next
> billing cycle (two-years, for the first cycle and annualy after that).
>
> RIPE actually ENFORCES data integrity.

I know that at least in the case of RIPN.NET (who handles .RU (Russian)
domains), they also enforce that the DNS servers in the registration
actually respond, and that the NS records match that which was put in the
registration, that the DNS servers are on different networks, AND they
test periodically (once a month I think), not just when you register.

Of course they deal in a very different volume than NSI.

And as far as the contact info is concerned, for 2-nd level domains at
least, they require your passport number, so it's pretty darn accurate
usually, though only in Russia can they get away with such invasion of
privacy IMHO...

Grisha