Re: Alternatives (was Re: whois broke again?)

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Mon Feb 21 03:23:36 2000

William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Some private messages have said that NSI claims the whois contact
> information is now their "property".

Not only. NSI has said publicly that this is the case. As does the data
they return with each whois result :-)

> Would it be OK with the rest of us for Rodney Joffe to create a
> database of all the requests and answers made thru geektools?

Not sure what you mean here. GeekTools SuperWhois is merely a proxy.
When answers are returned, they are still subject to the copyright under
which GeekTools retrieves them. We don't cache or store them. We just go
get the answers, and display them, copyright and all (NOTE: we have
received permission to do so). But we do not have permission to store or
capture the data. And, as we've already discussed, the data is wrong
sometimes :-)

A totally new from scratch database needs to be created. And it should
*not* be me, GeekTools, or CenterGate. Or any individual. It needs to be
controlled by a body trusted by all. What ICANN should have and could
have been.

CenterGate can provide the repository infrastructure through UltraDNS.
UltraDNS already has a whois component that allows a dns user to specify
which fields may be seen by the public, and which may not. Some thought
has to go in to how the 'net decides who should be able to read
something, and who should not. The major cause of complaints, and bogus
data (555-1212 phone numbers and [email protected] addresses) is the spam
issue. In fact, I believe that this is where the major effort has to be
spent assuming that this community really gives a damn about the
subject.

So, while this discussion is interesting to some, unless the majority of
lurkers here care enough to open their mouths and comment, we're just
creating noise. So sad.

> We would
> change the Open/Net/Free/*BSD/*nix whois distributions to point at
> geektools.  (Especially as default whois is pretty useless right now.)

whois-servers.net may be more appropriate, and it is already in at least
2 of the BSD distributions for whois :-)

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.