Re: SMTP in distributed DOS

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Sun Feb 20 16:14:13 2000

Not exactly a solution, but a fix is using a program like SpamProtect or
SpamControl (even on a server that is not open to relays). Our mail
servers will locally blackhole IPs from mail servers sending us far too
much mail in far too short a time period. Certain large mail servers have
higher thresholds.

In the unlikely case a server (or several) are blackholed, our NOC is
notified by the mail server for a human-intervention decision.

This does not break legitimate SMTP mail, except possibly from the abused
mail servers, and is context-sensitive filtering.

Deepak Jain
AiNET