RE: whois broke again?

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sun Feb 20 01:50:41 2000

There has been plenty of complaints lodged. NameSecure happens to finally
have port 43 whois service running, for the first time. I don't mean to
sound like an apologist for NSI, but they've been having plenty of trouble
with SRS. I leave it as a value judgement as to the appropriateness of
rolling out code that doesn't pass the most basic of QA muster, and whose
design and architecture is protected by the most stringent and arcane NDA
that I've ever seen.

Also, many of you have users that have been entering bogus info in the whois
database for years, and never said anything then.

The point; there's plenty of mud to go around. It's about time that you guys
got involved enough to fix it, instead of piss-and-moan.

ICANN is supposed to inherit the root-servers.net and damned few have ever
even seen a *nix shell. In the past two years, the big 8 have been
conspicuous, by total absence from the IFWP/ICANN/etc scene. The NTIA/DOC
has already cut IANA funding and ICANN has already accepted responsibility.
Parts of ICANN ain't looking good. I'm not at all sure that it shouldn't
die.

Now you bitch about things not working right? ... duh! What the hell did you
expect?!