Re: whois broke again?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sun Feb 20 01:40:28 2000

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 00:47:41 EST, John Hawkinson said:
> > Whats amazing to me is that there is not one peep from NSI about this, no
> > news service picked up on it, and it will go unnoticed, in general.
> >
> > Isn't it amazing that a company as significant on the 'net as NSI can have
> > such repetitive, continual database problems, and no one cares?
>
> Perhaps it's because no one bothers to report the problems to them
> instead people send mail to [email protected] which
> just happens to forward to nanog?

A) Do you happen to have proof that people *arent* reporting the
problems to NSI as well as posting here?

B) Considering how important NSI has been to keeping the net
going, I'm surprised we haven't seen a CNN soundbite of Wolf Blitzer
standing in front of NSI's corporate headquarters, talking about
NSI executives preparing to explain to a Congressional subcommittee
exactly why there are so many problems...

A few days ago a total of 13 sites got DOS'ed, for an average  of
a few hours each, and that got MAJOR press coverage.  It's surprising
there wasn't a similar fuss the time that 30% of the .com's were
dropped on the floor due to a undetected disk-full condition, and
sites were having sporadic problems for several DAYS till all the DNS
caches timed out, or the time a few days later there was ANOTHER
problem, or the time.....

Let's face it guys, taken on the "number of sites times outage time"
basis, NSI operational issues have screwed a *LOT* more of the 4
million .COM's out there than trin00 has....

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech